Saturday 7 February 2015

Why Go To Church?


Have been doing some studies recently and the more I sit and meditate on these things, the more convinced I am of the need for us to re-evaluate the things that we have been taught in the times past. In the past few weeks, I have come across some insights that have shaken the very core of my belief system and I will be sharing some with you.

In this part of the world, majority of us are religious people. That is to say that we were brought up either in Christian homes, Muslim homes, pagan homes or homes where African Traditional Religion (ATR) was the way of life. Whichever it was, we have had it as part of our foundational belief that there is God and the things we have been taught has then informed the way that we relate to God even after we become born again.

Very recently, I began to question a lot of the religious processes that we have been taught to believe is the right thing on so many topics concerning God, our faith, mode of worship etc. And being that most of the people I look up to, also taught me some of the things I am (I still am processing my thoughts) querying, I decided to go to God Himself for answers. I have been so consumed by these thoughts and findings that the days just flew by very fast. My next few posts will be on my findings on some of those topics (though I am not allowed to share some of them yet) and your comments, contributions and arguments are very welcome.

When I speak with new converts about Jesus, I always recommend to them that they go and study the book of John. So when I started my inquiry, I was directed to go study the book of John.

John 4: 19-24… (NKJV) The woman said to Him, “Sir, I perceive that you are a prophet. Our fathers worshiped on this mountain, and you Jews say that in Jerusalem is the place where one ought to worship.” Jesus said to her, “Woman, believe Me, the hour is coming when you will neither on this mountain, nor in Jerusalem, worship the Father. You worship what you do not know; we know what we worship, for salvation is of the Jews. But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshippers will worship the Father in sprit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him. God is a spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”

I read this converse and it sounded like two Christians of different denominations having a conversation on whose church was the better church to worship in. Or what do you think? But I love the way Christ closed out on the conversation which was what caught my eye; “But the hour is coming, and now is…” Selah!

Now is the time when God is not interested in your pettiness. Now is the time where the weightier matter of your motive is what the Father is interested in. When we gather in our various places of worship on Sundays or Tuesdays or Wednesdays or Thursdays or for vigils whichever your meeting times fall into or the various seminars that takes place virtually every weekend these days, why are we gathered? Are we truly gathered in spirit and in truth or are we gathered because you will not be allowed to minister if you do not come into church at a particular time? Are we gathered because it is thanksgiving Sunday and it will be a great opportunity to showcase the new outfit you just got? Are we gathered because we just have to share that testimony of the brand new acquisition you just acquired and let hatters know that we are moving forward despite all odds? Are we gathered to come and kill all our enemies that are not allowing us make progress? Are we gathered because it is compulsory for all ordained ministers to be in attendance? Are we gathered because it is another Sunday and we must gather? Are our gatherings to tick the box of a religious obligation, or are we gathered because we know that God is seeking for sincere worshipers?

Check your heart, Why exactly are we gathering?

Now is the time when “TRUE WORSHIPPERS” must worship God in spirit and in truth. Remember that God sees our heart and He knows why you are gathered so you better make sure that it is not just another religious exercise the next time you gather. Imagine how amazing the gathering will be if all participants are there to genuinely lift up their hearts in worship to the one true God. God said He is seeking for such fellows, are you one of them?

When next you are going for a gathering of believers, I want you to ask yourself this question; why am I attending this gathering?

Selah!

No comments: