Monday 9 July 2018

DO YOU BELIEVE?


A few weeks ago, I was at an event and kolanut was broken and shared by one of the elders present at the event. It wasn’t a huge crowd so the elder broke the kola and went round serving everyone. I collected a piece of the kola and took a huge bite out of (as Nwafor lolz).

An uncle sitting close to me looked at me with dismay and utter shock on his face and asked; ‘and you say you are an Igbo boy and even grew up in the east?’ He shook his head in disappointment.

I genuinely was in shock as I had no clue what he was on about. The harder I tried to figure out what he was talking about, the more confused I became. After a little while, I gave up on wondering what just transpired. And in a bid not to further aggravate my Igbo brother, I decided not to ask him what I did wrong as that may just worsen the situation.

Somewhere in between the party, I sensed the Lord laughing at me. When I paused to check what that was about, He said to me; “and you claim to be born, bread and buttered in Aba” and He laughed again.

At this point, my curiosity was completely aroused as I just needed to figure out what was going on.
The Lord said to me; a stranger gave you kola and you accepted it and took a bite just like that? He said this but I could still hear the stifled chuckle in His voice like He was taunting me.

Then it hit me. You see, growing up, we were warned against accepting things from strangers and as one began to attend functions with elders and learn the way of the elders, one of the things I also learnt was that it was very risky to go to any meeting of any sort both family meetings and otherwise and just eat kola anyhow or leave your drink open without close observation and still drink it afterwards. People have died for less.

As the realization hit me, I turned to the uncle and smiled a big smile. I wanted to walk over to him and tell him that I was a different specie, a new breed, that I am a new creature.

The Lord reminded me of this incidence a couple of nights ago. He was sharing with me how His children have more trust in tradition and customs much more than they trust in Him. And this breaks His heart. Some people have even taken it a step further and brought in their traditions into the church such that some do not even see the lines anymore as tradition has been properly mixed with worship of our Father.

Scripture tells me that I shall trample on snakes and scorpions, and they will not hurt me and I believe it completely. I don’t operate from a position of fear, I am not even conscious of it.

So the question was; when My children read the scriptures, do they actual believe that I can do what the scripture tells them that I can do?

Do you actually believe God?

Do you actually believe that He’s got you?

Do you actually believe the things written in His Word?

I need you to pause and reflect on this.


Selah!

No comments: