Sunday 29 April 2018

GUARD YOUR HEART AGAINST TOXIC WORDS


Words are powerful, they are so powerful that they frame the world we live in. wars are started by words and nations are built by words.

Some folks have mastered the art of using words to frame their world while others are still learners in school of using the word.

I have also learnt that the company one keeps to a large extent influence the words that the say.

You may have total control over the words that you say, but it is difficult almost impossible to have control over what people will say to you. My background growing up did not expose me to the use of vile hurtful words, so I used to think that people generally should use words that sooth as against toxic words. But adulthood and interacting with all manner of people has since changed that orientation for me. I have witnessed tears as a result of spoken words. I have had to talk people (more than one person) out of committing suicide rising from words that were spoken to them by someone.

The unfortunate thing is that some people who are Christians do not have Colossians 4:6 in them.

Col 4:6
Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer every man.

When you hear some believers talk to other people even sometimes to their children, I can’t help but wonder what or rather who really lives on their inside because if Jesus was the one living on their inside, I am certain He wouldn’t spit out such venom.

So, if I cannot control what you say, I can control how I choose to respond to what you say. We must master the art of dealing with the toxic words that others speak to us.

How do we do this you may ask? By following what the Word has instructed us to do which is guarding our hearts against them.

Prov 4:20-25

My son, attend to my words; incline your ear to my sayings. Let them not depart from your eyes; keep them in the middle of your heart. For they are life to those that find them, and health to all their flesh. Keep your heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life. Put away from you a fraudulent mouth, and perverse lips put far from you. Let your eyes look right on, and let your eyelids look straight before you.

So for every time someone tells you or calls you something that does not align with what the Word of God has said concerning you, just shut the gates of your heart and remind yourself who you are in Christ Jesus. Keep your eyes looking straight on at what God has said about you, completely ignoring they have said. 

And I beg you not to be angry at or mad at people who use vile words at you, people can only give what they have. You can pray for them but always ensure that you guard your heart against their toxic words by standing on God’s word about your life.


God Bless You!

No comments: